Breaking News, Latest News and Trending News

‘They Say They Rushed In’: Gunman’s Final 90 Minutes Fuel Questions



Serious questions remain as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos had 90 minutes to carry out unspeakable violence at a school without being confronted by authorities.

One parent, who lost a daughter in the fourth grade, said police told him that “they rushed in.” This doesn’t seem to be the case.

Ramos crashed his Ford pickup behind the Texas school at 11:28 a.m. Within twelve minutes, he was in the hallways of Robb Elementary School and began shooting victims inside in a fourth-grade classroom.

At 12:58 p.m., law enforcement killed Ramos in gun exchange. Ramos was able to kill 19 schoolchildren and two teachers.

“They say they rushed in,” said Javier Cazares said. His daughter, Jacklyn Cazares, was killed in the attack.

“We didn’t see that,” Cazares responded after rushing to the scene.

The first police officers arrive on the scene 12 minutes after the crash, but they did not enter the school to pursue the shooter until four minutes after that.

Roughly an hour later, the crisis finally came to an end after a group of Border Patrol tactical officers entered the school at 12:45 p.m.

Ken Trump, who serves as president of the consulting firm National School Safety and Security Services, said, “Based on best practices, it’s very difficult to understand why there were any types of delays, particularly when you get into reports of 40 minutes and up of going in to neutralize that shooter.”

More on this story from Associated Press:

They engaged in a shootout with the gunman, who was holed up in the fourth-grade classroom. Moments before 1 p.m., he was dead.

Escalon said that during that time, the officers called for backup, negotiators and tactical teams, while evacuating students and teachers…

Many other details of the case and the response remained murky. The motive for the massacre — the nation’s deadliest school shooting since Newtown, Connecticut, almost a decade ago — remained under investigation, with authorities saying Ramos had no known criminal or mental health history.

During the siege, frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the school, according to witnesses.

“Go in there! Go in there!” women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who watched the scene from outside a house across the street.

Carranza said the officers should have entered the school sooner: “There were more of them. There was just one of him.”

Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz did not give a timeline but said repeatedly that the tactical officers from his agency who arrived at the school did not hesitate. He said they moved rapidly to enter the building, lining up in a “stack” behind an agent holding up a shield.



We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.



This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More