Breaking News, Latest News and Trending News

“They’re going to find child porn”: Democrat with failed bids for governor warns wife after police search home

0

PORTLAND, ME – Elliot Cutler ran for governor in Maine twice as an independent. Both times he lost. He used his own wealth to bankroll his campaigns.

Now, he is charged with four counts of possession of sexually explicit material of a child under 12. This is according to Hancock County District Attorney Matthew Foster, as reported by Fox News.

Foster said that the technology devices seized during his arrest are still be reviewed.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if more charges were on the way, he said.”

Additional charges could be levied at the federal level as well since images are often shared across state lines.

Members of the Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit took Cutler into custody, without incident, at one of his homes in the coastal community of Brooklin.

He was booked in the Hancock County Jail. His bond was set at $50,000. His attorney, Walter McKee, was able to confirm the arrest but would not comment further. Cutler has also not made any public statements.

The attorney, who has been engaged in the political landscape, both in Maine and on the national level, was apprehended after a two-month investigation.

He ran for governor in 2010 and again in 2014, narrowly missing the victory in his first attempt.

He founded a law firm in Washington, DC that focused on environmental law. While in the nation’s capital, Cutler was an aide to Senator Edmund Muskie before becoming Jimmy Carter’s top adviser for environmental and energy policy.

Law enforcement search both of his homes earlier this week, one in Portland and the other in Brooklin.

According to the Bangor Daily News, Cutler confessed, during the warrant-aided search, to being in possession of the explicit material.

“When police arrived at his Brooklin farmhouse overlooking Blue Hill Bay, Cutler immediately responded by saying he wanted a lawyer present. But when police began seizing electronic devices under the warrant, he agreed to give them access to at least one of them.

‘Basically, the conversation was between him and his wife while police were standing right there,’ Foster said. ‘He told her they’re going to find child porn.’”

McKee was not pleased with the arrest coming late Friday, given that the court was closed. He was hoping that Cutler would be able to post bail and be released heading into the weekend.

“I’ve been dealing with the issues created by a completely unnecessary late Friday arrest, after the court has closed, for no good reason,” he said.

At the time of this writing, he had not been released.

The terms of his bond would also require that he not have access to any internet-connected device or sexually explicit material of any kind.

Each of the four pending counts could carry a prison sentence of 5 years if Cutler is found guilty, meaning he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

That is assuming that he doesn’t get a lighter sentence like the ones handed down by Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson. Her easy-going approach to child porn predators has raised the ire of federal lawmakers and concerned Americans alike.

Every parent’s worst nightmare: SCOTUS nominee says some child porn offenders should get lighter sentences, past rulings confirm that


___

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

code

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More